[Gnewsense-dev] Re: Important bug reports (GNU documentation missing)

From: Christophe Jarry
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Important bug reports (GNU documentation missing)
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 20:41:47 +0200

Regarding GNU software rejected by debian and listed on
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Projects/DocRejectedByDebian, I have been
able to write a script that downloads documentation for most of them on
gnu.org/software/$SOFTWARE/manual. But, some core software have not
their documentation on gnu.org website: binutils, GCC and GDB. Those
have their documentation easily downloadable only as html files.

For this  reason, I extracted .info files from each of these 3 source
code and placed them on gNewSense's bzr server on Savannah. I thought
there was an easy way to download files for a given software with bzr,
but have been unable to find it.

I wrote a script as a short term solution for gNewSense users to get
documentation for GNU software that debian considers non-free. But I am
planning to release a deb package for each of them, when I will be
familiarized with deb packaging.

Given those informations, do you think I better have to just edit
the script to copy html files and directory recursively from
{binutils,gcc,gdb} website to a directory of the user calling the
script? In this case, in which user's directory should I copy this html
doc?

Christophe