Re: [Gnewsense-dev] installable on mipsel again

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] installable on mipsel again
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 23:05:40 +0200

Karl Goetz schreef:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 14:13:17 +0200
Imad-Eddine SRAIRI <address@hidden> wrote:
with it and let it go on without interfering, but it hung again. One
more 'off+on+del' later, I was back in pmon and retyped the three
lines quoted above. The system started and I was able to log in. I
checked content of /boot/boot.cfg and /etc/default/grub and edited
the latter like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=tty no_auto_cmd machtype=8.9"

(I do not like the 'quiet' option, so I left
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT unchanged to "".)

right.

I ran 'update-grub2' (as root) (notice the '2' because this is what I

update-grub2 is a wrapper around update-grub, so they do the same work.

found in /boot/boot.cfg: grub version 2) and restarted: everything
seems to work now.

What changed in grubs config? thats what we need to know, since
update-grub won't be touching boot.cfg.

Graziano, if you manage to confirm that the same steps work for you
(there is nothing new here really wrt the wiki's current content,
except maybe a few additional details), we could add these details on
the wiki page to help future generations of metad-installer-wannabes
like me... :-)

To whoever tries this next:
- Save /etc/grub/grub.d
- Save /etc/default/grub
- Save /boot/

* BEFORE* running update-grub.
The before and after is what tells us where to go next.

For lack of cooperation I did an install myself. That confirmed my suspicions of missing boot parameters (installer proposes empty GRUB_CMDLINE* values). This should have been fixed by rev. 1916 of grub-yeeloong, but there's no package with that fix in the archive (anymore?). The installer downloads 1.98~20091212-2 (rmh/byhand), which is older than the fix.