Re: [Gnewsense-dev] installable on mipsel again

From: Imad-Eddine SRAIRI
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] installable on mipsel again
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 14:13:17 +0200

Hi,

I had the same problem as Graziano: no reboot after installation - the
system hung with the GNU+Freedo logo displayed at the top of an entirely
empty, black screen.

At this stage, I was aware that I had ignored several warnings of the
installer urging me to define/configure a boot loader, but I did not
know what to fill in (and where). I had not used all information found
on

http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Projects/gNewSenseToMIPS

either, in particular things related to grub.

So I restarted the computer and pressed del again, to get back to pmon.

The commands listed in paragraph 5 of first section worked:
<<
devls
dir (wd0,0)/boot

and showed that files

vmlinux-2.6.32.9-libre-lemote
initrd.img-2.6.32.9-libre-lemote

did exist in (wd0,0)/boot, so I typed commands listed in paragraph 6:
<<
load (wd0,0)/boot/vmlinux-2.6.31.6-libre1
initrd (wd0,0)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.31.6-libre1
g console=tty no_auto_cmd root=/dev/hda1 rootdelay=8

replacing 31.6-libre1 by 32.9-libre-lemote.

Actually I inserted this one before the third line:
<<
set al (wd0,0)/boot/vmlinux-2.6.32.9-libre-lemote

which is also mentioned on the wiki.

The system restarted, went beyond the hanging point previously
encountered, and started to check the disk. Errors were detected and
corrected, so it spontaneously rebooted again. I thought I was done with
it and let it go on without interfering, but it hung again. One more
'off+on+del' later, I was back in pmon and retyped the three lines
quoted above. The system started and I was able to log in. I checked
content of /boot/boot.cfg and /etc/default/grub and edited the latter
like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=tty no_auto_cmd machtype=8.9"

(I do not like the 'quiet' option, so I left GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT
unchanged to "".)

I ran 'update-grub2' (as root) (notice the '2' because this is what I
found in /boot/boot.cfg: grub version 2) and restarted: everything seems
to work now.

Graziano, if you manage to confirm that the same steps work for you
(there is nothing new here really wrt the wiki's current content, except
maybe a few additional details), we could add these details on the wiki
page to help future generations of metad-installer-wannabes like
me... :-)

Thanks,

imad