[Gnewsense-dev] Are -mfix-loongson2f-nop and -mfix-loongson2f-jump neede

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Are -mfix-loongson2f-nop and -mfix-loongson2f-jump needed for userland programs?
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 13:39:06 -0500

Does anyone know canonically if the system can have instability
because *any* executable program is compiled without the loongson2f
as/binutils fixes?

The site http://dev.lemote.com/code/firefox-3.7-loongson-jit says:

"Recommend building with Lemote's tool-chain
http://dev.lemote.com/files/binary/toolchain/gcc4ls2f.tar to avoid a
potential bug http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2009-11/msg00387.html.";

I was under the impression that only the kernel, linux had to be
compiled with the loongson2f as/binutils fixes to avoid system lockups
due to silicon-level loongson2f bugs.

If this is wrong then I feel gNewSense (a Debian-based GNU/Linux
distribution) might as well spend the time to make a n32 ABI /
loongson2f / loongson2f as bug fixes variant of gNewSense now, rather
then waiting on the Debian work in that area [1].

Also, I have been told recently produced loongson2f chips have fixed
these bugs, so not everyone may see them. Does anyone know how to tell
if one has a version of the loongson2f chip with the bug that requires
the binutils patches?

[1] create a mips 3 port for Debian : update 20091025
http://sandyleo26.wordpress.com/2009/10/25/create-a-mips-3-port-for-debian-update-20091025/

Thanks,
--
Daniel JB Clark | http://pobox.com/~dclark