Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Improving gNS "Help and Support"

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Improving gNS "Help and Support"
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 10:06:24 +0930

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 13:09:31 -0500
Luis Felipe Lopez Acevedo <address@hidden> wrote:

> El sáb, 15-08-2009 a las 10:57 +0930, Karl Goetz escribió:
>
> > Sounds brilliant, but try and take into account the work already
> > done in the wiki :)
> > There is semi-structured documentation already available there,
> > which could be a handy place to start on your project.
> >

> Of course, that can not be wasted.
>
> > So far the kiss of death for doco projects has been someone being
> > nominated as 'in charge', so lets avoid that here and you magically
> > make stuff happen :)
> > kk
> >

> I'm not a magician but I'll try to help as much as I can :)
>
> Zach, Russell, I started the project[1] that will be our route to
> create the documentation.
>
> If you think the list of documents is ok as is, we can prepare to
> start with the first document: About gNewSense.
>
> Currently, the Documentation Team has no guidelines or a defined
> workflow we can use, so I propose we do the following:
>
> 0. Take GNOME Documentation Style Guide as a reference for style

Try not to get to bogged down being correctly styled. Hack on doco.
Make words. When you've got a bit of a groove happening start to make
your lives harder.

> 1. Open the project for the document About gNewSense
> 2. Propose a structure for the document (in any format)
> 3. Define the final structure from the proposals
> 4. Propose the content
> 5. Write a draft in the wiki combining the content proposals
> 6. Revise and improve
> 7. Write the final document in DocBook

7 is the step that worries me most out of those. If your going to be
doing that perhaps a script to automate wiki -> docbook would be in
order (one may exist already). Even if it just automates the basics,
its a lot better then a full rewrite.

The resultant docbook should probably wind up in a revision control
system of some sort as a 'step 8'.

kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)