Re: [Gnash] Gnash licensing

From: Nicolas Cannasse
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Gnash licensing
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 18:39:58 +0100

Rob Savoye wrote:
Gervase Markham wrote:

I am not arguing for relicensing Gnash simply because that will lead to it having more users or more popularity. (If that were my goal, I would be arguing that you should licence it under BSD terms.) I am arguing for relicensing it because I think that more users will get given more free software and so have more freedom.

One of the main platforms for Gnash is running the standalone player on embedded GNU/Linux systems. I anticipate that actually there will likely be as many people using it that way than as a plugin. So I'm not really that worried about "market acceptance" as I am in creating a flash player that can run in many environments where there is zero flash solution. The plugin is just another output device to Gnash.

To get an insight about acceptance and concerns, you can have a look at the thread currently running on the OpenSource Flash list there :

http://osflash.org/pipermail/osflash_osflash.org/2006-January/007020.html

(follow the whole thread, I think it's interesting and includes statements from Macromedia officials)

You're welcome to join the list and send your take on the different issues raised on the topic.

Best,
Nicolas