Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] Gnash tutorial on profiling the renderer

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] Gnash tutorial on profiling the renderer
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 21:46:12 +0200

Hello strk,

Sunday, April 26, 2009, 7:28:17 PM, you wrote:
s> I'm not sure automating this would be "going further".
s> Only the author knows what's worth caching and what not.

Remember that older SWF versions (< SWF 8) do not have this feature.
Furthermore, the player is able to analyze the movie during playback
and activate bitmap caching after rendering a few identical
movieclips. Just think of a fixed overlay movieclip that itself never
changes while other instances below it change. That's quite common.

s> Anyway, I wouldn't approach the "auto" cache until the explicit
s> one is implemented (which isn't yet in Gnash).

Yes, of course, that's what I meant. One step at a time..

s> Can't find in http://www.antigrain.com/demo/index.html, can you ?

It's not linked on the web page. See:
http://antigrain.com/stuff/particle_demo2.exe

or the AggPas version (slower, but includes Linux executables):
http://aggpas.org/aggpas-demo.htm (Particle_demo)

By the way, would be nice to create a similar demo as a Flash movie.

Note that "bitmap caching" is (internally) the basis for SWF 8
filters, so it probably should not be specific to a single renderer.

Udo