Re: [Gnash-dev] youtube profiling

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] youtube profiling
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 15:23:54 +0200

As an experiment, I had the gui skip calling ::display every 50 frames.
For the youtube case (25fps) this means only rendering every 2 secs.

This is the graph:

[1]     53.0    0.01    2.22
gnash::Gui::advance_movie(gnash::Gui*) [1]
                0.00    1.61    2327/2327
gnash::movie_root::advance(float) [2]
                0.00    0.61      45/45
gnash::Gui::display(gnash::movie_root*) [8]

You can see visually that gnash is waiting on the loader , which drives the
actual speed.

As a general improvement, we might should implement skipping rendering when
we're
late with reguard to the requested FPS. In this cases, FPS being 25 we should
skip
rendering if time elapsed since last call is > 1/25 seconds

This would be a catch-all thing, possibly driving us to never render anything if
the machine is too slow to catch up with the requested FPS, so maybe it's not a
good
idea. What do you think ?