Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] gui wants redraw

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] gui wants redraw
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 18:41:17 +0100

Hello Martin,

Sunday, November 5, 2006, 12:23:17 PM, you wrote:
MG> Yes. That way, when the user can pause the film, the window won't stop
MG> updating itself.

Again, the inter-frame timer is individually implemented in the GUI
itself meaning that they have to trigger redraw. I'd simply add a
argument "redraw" to Gui::display(). Basically the same as
want_redraw() but in a more direct way.

MG> There is a related problem: that gnash keeps rendering its display
MG> window even when minimised or hidden ("burning a hole in the screen"),
MG> and one way to solve that would be for the rendering to be triggered
MG> by resize/expose events from the gui and 'invalidate area' events from
MG> the flash player (every time something moves in an exposed area). -
MG> this should bring a performance boost, as well as opening the door to
MG> automatically dropping frames on slow hardware without affecting the
MG> playing speed of the flash movie.

MG> But that seems rather a large restructuring for the moment.

No, it's rather simple. The invalidated bounds can be altered by the
individual GUI. It can extend or shrink the bounds as it likes. When
the GUI knows about what parts of the window are exposed it can limit
the invalidated bounds to this area. This is already possible.

In the case of a minimized player you can limit the invalidated bounds
to just one pixel or you avoid calling gui->display() which means you
have to advance_movie() manually.

Udo