[Gnash-dev] Re: RTTI and embedded systems

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Re: RTTI and embedded systems
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 08:39:16 -0600

strk wrote:

> Question is: is the -fno-rtti flag really needed ?
> We can surely do w/out RTTI (and indeed code was w/out it before

  RTTI is used for exception handling in C++, which we use.
(catch/try/throw), so I wouldn't try to pass this as a compiler flag.
The biggest bloat usually comes from the usage of virtual functions,
although G++ implemented the "thunk" technique which is more efficient
with space. (stores one table instead of many)

  We found with eCOS was that when the GNU linker had supported added
for dead code elimination, that was were we got the largest benefit.

        - rob -