ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] flattr donations

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] flattr donations
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 10:14:22 +0000

Thanks very much for the information, John.

To whoever is maintaining the web page:   If this information was copied there,
I think there would be a lot more people you would consider donating.

J'

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 09:43:41PM -0400, John Sullivan wrote:

     > I tend to agree with Neal.
     >
     > I don't in principle object to donating, but I'd rather not do it
through
     > flattr (although I have no better suggestion for online donations), and
     > I always ask questions before I donate to such causes.
     >
     > For example:
     >
     > * I really would like to know who or what is administrating the funds.

     The FSF receives the funds from Flattr and administers them.

     We've also discussed setting up a fund directly under the FSF that
     wouldn't require Flattr.

     > * what happens to the $50 I donate if the GHM has to be cancelled for
     >   whatever reason.

     It would have to be "rolled over" to the next GHM. We're not currently
     able to handle refundable donations.

     > * What criteria are applied when assessing potential benefactors. In this
     >   case since the general public are being invited to donate, it would
seem
     >   consistent to also ask them to apply for such travel grants.  I would
     >   expect to see a "click here to apply for a grant" button next to the
     >   "click here to donate button".

     This is up to the GHM organizers (subject to final approval from the
     FSF, but our concern will be based on due diligence things like
     providing documentation/receipts; we expect the organizers to decide the
     finer grained details like who out of the eligible pool should receive
     reimbursement).

     > With regard to operating costs, perhaps there is also the intention to
do this,
     > but a collection at the end of the meeting is probably the best way to
do it.

     This is also up to the organizers. There is no structural or FSF reason
     why the funds can't be used for operating expenses; but the organizers
     may decide they are best put toward travel expenses.

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
See http://keys.gnupg.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.