Re: [gforth] my Vim syntax file for Gforth

From: Bernd Paysan
Subject: Re: [gforth] my Vim syntax file for Gforth
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 02:19:33 +0100

Am Donnerstag, 26. Februar 2015, 21:15:28 schrieb Marcos Cruz:
> En/Je/On 2015-02-25 20:55, Bernd Paysan escribió / skribis / wrote :
> > > http://programandala.net/en.program.gforth_vim_syntax_file.html
> >
> > What's the licensing of this file? If it's GPL compatible, we could
> > include it in the Gforth distribution.
>
> So far I didn't care the license of the Vim syntax files I wrote based
> on files from other people. I just kept their original headers.
>
> I've been investigating this. When a file included in the Vim
> distribution has no specific license, it's supposed to have the Vim
> license (http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/uganda.html#license),
> which is GPL compatible.  I updated all my Vim syntax files accordingly,
> even those I wrote from scratch, and uploaded them.

Fine.  According to the VIM license, we must include the VIM license then.
>From a copyright point of view, I see the vim syntax file as "aggregate", i.e.
it is not a component of Gforth, but intended as component of vim to make
things easier for people who like to edit their Gforth sources with vim, so no
need to relicense it under GPL.

All we need for distributing Gforth as a GNU project is a license with does
not add restrictions.  As the VIM license is explicitly GPL-compatible, it's
fine as it is.

> You can include the file in the Gforth distribution.  I think the other
> little files I mention in the Usage information should be included too,
> in order to make things easier for the user. I will prepare them. The
> installation could be just copying the content of certain subdirectory
> from Gforth into <~/.vim/>.

Or, for a system-wide installation, in the /usr/share/vim/site/syntax
directory.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://bernd-paysan.de/