gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] Let's resolve this quickly

From: Robert Dewar
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] Let's resolve this quickly
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:38:24 -0500

Bob Rossi wrote:

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 04:50:21PM -0800, Stan Shebs wrote:

However, as an "outsider", I personally would have less trust in GDB SC
just getting back a single answer over a technical issue.

I think you misunderstand the proper role of voting in a committee. It
is not an end in itself unlike in a legislature, where if you get 51-49
to support your position you have won.

There is no winning and losing in discussing technical issues. Rather
the idea is to reach a consensus by discussion. Voting is simply one
way of finding out where people are at some particular point in the
discussion.

Of course sometimes a committee cannot agree on a technical point,
but that's actually rarer than you think. Certainly for instance,
if I find myself unable to convince other people on a committee,
I assume it means my argument is wrong, and I carefully listen
to understand why people disagree.

You should not in general get back "a single answer", but instead
an answer that integrates various points of view, forged into a
coherent consensus position. So perhaps you see the various plusses
and minuses, and an outcome that prefers one position over the other
having all things considered.

I would at
least like to see and know who was on what side of the issue and mostly
why they were.

Well that's what's wrong with recording votes. It emphasizes the idea of
separate sides on an issue, rather than emphasizing the effort to come
to a mutual understanding of the issue.

Whats the point of Free Software if technical decisions get made behind
closed doors? I almost find that thought insulting. (no disrespect
intended)

But the idea of a committee is precisely to close the door. We try to
resolve things by general open discussion. The time the SC has to make
a decision is when this approach of general open discussion does not
converge to a consensus. Hopefully that won't be often, but if the
SC discussions are open, then they are just a rerun of the open
discussion and won't get anywhere.

In fact if I were part of a committee that were forced to record votes
and how people voted, I would be tempted to follow procedures of always
having everyone change their vote to the final decided position :-)

Bob Rossi