gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] AUR - the Arch Linux repo - how did g-c get there?

From: kht-lists
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] AUR - the Arch Linux repo - how did g-c get there?
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2020 22:53:46 +0000

Hello Uwe,

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 4:30 PM, Uwe Scholz <u.scholz83@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> Am Mon, 05 Oct 2020 00:29:54 +0000 schrieb kht-lists via gcmd-devel:
>
> > I guess I get to answer my own question :-) It seems that AUR (Arch
> > User Repo) is open to anyone. An individual by the screen name of
> > City-busz put Gnome-commander in AUR and "haawda" last updated the
> > package. He did make the comment "Orphaning, I want to get rid of
> > gnome-vfs (and yes, it is needed)." We know about that concern. That
> > said...
> > When I inquired on the Manjaro forum I learned that I could
> > build/instal gnome-vfs from AUR (even though I could not find it with
> > a search.) I did this and then ran "pamac build gnome-commander" The
> > source code was cloned from git and gnome-commander was built and is
> > running fine!!! I am a happy camper.
> > In the discussion on the forum it was pointed out to me that
> > gnome-commander has a dependency on python2 which went EOL at the end
> > of 2019 I am told. I have not yet looked but if there is python code
> > in gnome-commander could it be made python3 compatible if it is not
> > already? The dependency could then be updated to python3. Another
> > step into the future.
>
> Python support and dependencies have been droped from gcmd in version
> 1.8.1. You should not need any python dependency anymore since that
> version. I am not aware that I missed any dependency, which could be of
> course. In this case we would have a bug. Did the person from the
> Manjaro forum pointed out where that dependency is located?
>
> Best regards
> Uwe
>
> gcmd-devel mailing list
> gcmd-devel@nongnu.org

Here is what is in the thread on the Manjaro forum:

Where did gnome-vfs come from? A depend of a depend?

gnome-commander (1.10.3) PKGBUILD says:
  depends=('python2' 'libgsf' 'exiv2' 'taglib' 'poppler-glib' 'libunique' )
  makedepends=('perl-xml-parser' 'itstool' 'yelp-tools')

PKGBUILD is a file created by the AUR maintainer of the package. In fact I just
found the file which I have reproduced below. I suspect that it is an artifact
which was not cleaned up for newer versions of the gnome-commander. In fact I
had no problem building gnome-commander after in built gnome-vfs.  I have
reviewed the Manjaro thread and I have no idea what the poster quoted above was
attempting to answer. I spotted the python2 dependency. A later poster said:

The reason gnome-commander has been demoted to AUR - is the dependency of
python2 - which died 2019-12-31.

I believe the "demoted" refers to gnome-commander being removed from the
official Arch repo and put into the user supported repo. I think the whole
python2 concern is really not an issue.  Now I need to take the gnome-vfs
source code which magically downloaded from AUR and see if I can compile it on
Ubuntu 20.04. Then gnome-commander might build and install (or not).

Cheers,

Ken

PKGBUILD
========
# Contributor: Jaroslav Lichtblau <svetlemodry@archlinux.org>
# Contributor: Alexander Rødseth <rodseth@gmail.com>
# Contributor: Ionut Biru <ibiru@archlinux.org>
# Contributor: Roman Kyrylych <roman@archlinux.org>
# Contributor: Johannes Sjolund <j.sjolund@gmail.com>
# Maintainer: Stefan Husmann <stefan-husmann@t-online.de>

pkgname=gnome-commander
pkgver=1.10.3
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc='Graphical two-pane filemanager for Gnome'
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url='http://gcmd.github.io/'
license=('GPL')
depends=('python2' 'libgsf' 'exiv2' 'taglib' 'poppler-glib' 'libunique' )
makedepends=('perl-xml-parser' 'itstool' 'yelp-tools')
source=(https://download.gnome.org/sources/gnome-commander/${pkgver%.*}/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.xz)
sha256sums=('ef130851058d63194f790bfbba27b6be2b6f2906d923ccec847b9cc595193a2e')

build() {
  cd "$pkgname-$pkgver"

  ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --sysconfdir=/etc \
              --localstatedir=/var --enable-python \
              --with-help-dir=/usr/share/doc/$pkgname
  make
}

package() {
  cd "$pkgname-$pkgver"
  make GCONF_DISABLE_MAKEFILE_SCHEMA_INSTALL=1 DESTDIR="$pkgdir"  install
 }