gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] AUR - the Arch Linux repo - how did g-c get there?

From: kht-lists
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] AUR - the Arch Linux repo - how did g-c get there?
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 00:29:54 +0000

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Saturday, October 3, 2020 7:46 PM, kht-lists via gcmd-devel
<gcmd-devel@nongnu.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Recently I have been playing with Manjaro - the "easy to use" offspring of
> Arch. I had inquired on their forum about how to install a package which was
> available from the vendor as a .deb or .rpm. I did not find a tarball on the
> vendor's site. It is NOT an open source program - or at least I did not/do
> not think so. (Beyond Compare by scootersoftware.com.) I was recommended to
> perform "pamac build bcompare" which I did. To my utter amazement the pamac
> program downloaded the various development packages needed, the tarball for
> Beyond Compare (from the AUR repo), build and installed the program! I then
> tried "pamac build gnome-comander."
>
> Again pamac downloaded and installed a number of development packages and the
> g-c 10.3.1 tarball from the AUR repo. It began the build process but failed
> on :
>
> checking for GNOMEVFS... no
> configure: error: gnome-vfs >= 2.0.0 not found
> ==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
> Aborting...
>
> I know gnome-vgs is an ancient artifact and I have not been able to find it
> for Manjaro. I know that g-c will not install on RHEL/CentOS 8 nor Ubuntu
> 20.04 so I was not too surprised that it would not install on Manjaro.
> However, I do have these questions:
>
> 1 - How did the g-c tarball get into the AUR repo?
> 2 - Was this done with the knowledge of g-c team?
> 3 - If yes then why put it in the repo if it cannot be installed due to the
> missing gnome-vfs?
> 4 - Is there a way to install it on Arch/Manjaro which I am missing?
>
> I will ask questions 1 and 3 on the Arch or Manjaro forums and see what I can
> find out from that side.
>
> Darn. I was getting to like Manjaro and to be able to use g-c would have been
> great.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken Taylor
> Clayton, NC USA
>
> I don't have a Swiss bank account but I do have a Swiss email address :-)
>
> Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.
>
> gcmd-devel mailing list
> gcmd-devel@nongnu.org

I guess I get to answer my own question :-)  It seems that AUR (Arch User Repo)
is open to anyone. An individual by the screen name of City-busz put
Gnome-commander in AUR and "haawda" last updated the package. He did make the
comment  "Orphaning, I want to get rid of gnome-vfs (and yes, it is needed)."
We know about that concern. That said...

When I inquired on the Manjaro forum I learned that I could build/instal
gnome-vfs from AUR (even though I could not find it with a search.) I did this
and then ran "pamac build gnome-commander" The source code was cloned from git
and gnome-commander was built and is running fine!!!  I am a happy camper.

In the discussion on the forum it was pointed out to me that gnome-commander
has a dependency on python2 which went EOL at the end of 2019 I am told. I have
not yet looked but if there is python code in gnome-commander could it be made
python3 compatible if it is not already? The dependency could then be updated
to python3. Another step into the future.

Regards,

Ken