gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] AUR - the Arch Linux repo - how did g-c get there?

From: kht-lists
Subject: [gcmd-dev] AUR - the Arch Linux repo - how did g-c get there?
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2020 23:46:56 +0000

Hello,

Recently I have been playing with Manjaro - the "easy to use" offspring of
Arch. I had inquired on their forum about how to install a package which was
available from the vendor as a .deb or .rpm. I did not find a tarball on the
vendor's site. It is NOT an open source program - or at least I did not/do not
think so. (Beyond Compare by scootersoftware.com.) I was recommended to perform
"pamac build bcompare" which I did. To my utter amazement the pamac program
downloaded the various development packages needed, the tarball for Beyond
Compare (from the AUR repo), build and installed the program! I then tried
"pamac build gnome-comander."

Again pamac downloaded and installed a number of development packages and the
g-c 10.3.1 tarball from the AUR repo. It began the build process but failed on :

checking for GNOMEVFS... no
configure: error: gnome-vfs >= 2.0.0 not found
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
Aborting...

I know gnome-vgs is an ancient artifact and I have not been able to find it for
Manjaro. I know that g-c will not install on RHEL/CentOS 8 nor Ubuntu 20.04 so
I was not too surprised that it would not install on Manjaro. However, I do
have these questions:

1 - How did the g-c tarball get into the AUR repo?
2 - Was this done with the knowledge of g-c team?
3 - If yes then why put it in the repo if it cannot be installed due to the
missing gnome-vfs?
4 - Is there a way to install it on Arch/Manjaro which I am missing?

I will ask questions 1 and 3 on the Arch or Manjaro forums and see what I can
find out from that side.

Darn. I was getting to like Manjaro and to be able to use g-c would have been
great.

Thanks,

Ken Taylor
Clayton, NC USA

I don't have a Swiss bank account but I do have a Swiss email address :-)