gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Some thoughts about the fileviewer

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Some thoughts about the fileviewer
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 23:12:48 +0200

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 13:54 +0200, Magnus Stålnacke wrote:
> I have just discovered that GQview can show RAW-files.
> (raw sensor data from digital cameras) I do not know
> exactly how GQv does that, if it uses ImageMagick, dcraw
> or if there are some Gnome specific libs that can handle
> it, or if it handles it internally. Anyway, i think that
> this is something for Assaf to look into. If you decide
> to try it and need RAW files to test, i can send you
> such files from my Canon 300D.

It is based partially on dcraw code and currently supports only raw
files of CANON, FUJI, OLYMPUS and NIKON. It's GPLed, so obviously we can
reuse the code for our project

> I also discovered that GQview also can show the "Maker notes"
> in EXIF data, the gcmd viewer does not show that. GQview
> retrieves a lot more EXIF info from the jpegs coming off
> my camera. But GQv cannot handle EXIF from RAW files, at
> least not in the Canon case since Canon stores EXIF in a
> separate thumbnail file with the same filename but with a
> .thm extension.

I don't believe that raw format is capable of handling Exif/IPTC data...

> Another thing.. (maybe a bit OT)
> I have also been thinking around editing of IPTC data,
> today i do that with a shell-script, and that feels quite
> 1994 so to speak.. I have also written a shell-script that i
> can run as cgi under Apache, that is the only way i know how
> to get some kind of UI for this task (both see a thumb of the
> pic. and have input fields for the data), and well.. that is to
> go over the bridge for water.

IMHO this can be achieved without much effort using python (there are
many libraries for reading and writing IPTC/Exif tags -
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mmpython/,
http://www.jfroche.be/open-source/python-iptc-parser,  ...) And this
absolutely can be a start for the first python plugin for gcmd ;o)

Piotr