gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] Some thoughts about the fileviewer

From: Magnus Stålnacke
Subject: [gcmd-dev] Some thoughts about the fileviewer
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 13:54:06 +0200

I have just discovered that GQview can show RAW-files.
(raw sensor data from digital cameras) I do not know
exactly how GQv does that, if it uses ImageMagick, dcraw
or if there are some Gnome specific libs that can handle
it, or if it handles it internally. Anyway, i think that
this is something for Assaf to look into. If you decide
to try it and need RAW files to test, i can send you
such files from my Canon 300D.

I also discovered that GQview also can show the "Maker notes"
in EXIF data, the gcmd viewer does not show that. GQview
retrieves a lot more EXIF info from the jpegs coming off
my camera. But GQv cannot handle EXIF from RAW files, at
least not in the Canon case since Canon stores EXIF in a
separate thumbnail file with the same filename but with a
.thm extension.

Another thing.. (maybe a bit OT)
I have also been thinking around editing of IPTC data,
today i do that with a shell-script, and that feels quite
1994 so to speak.. I have also written a shell-script that i
can run as cgi under Apache, that is the only way i know how
to get some kind of UI for this task (both see a thumb of the
pic. and have input fields for the data), and well.. that is to
go over the bridge for water. I have searched around for some
App. for this task, i found none. So i thought that it is time
to learn how to write an app. like this myself, but i do not
find any tutorials, guides or howtos that could help me get
going - well i found tutorials for both GTK and pyGTK at their
official sites, but i must be a fool, at least i feel so,
because those did not help, those "tutorials" just made it
even more mysterious. Some very crucial info is obviously
missing since i do not get it..

Do any of you know where to start?