gcl-devel

KCL report, was Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Server sockets with GCL?

From: Jeff Dalton
Subject: KCL report, was Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Server sockets with GCL?
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 18:17:27 +0100 (BST)

Quoting Chris Hall <address@hidden>:

> I looked in the KCL distro I have, and the terms were such that one
> had to obtain a specific grant from the Japanese author/maintainer in
> order to use KCL - I have no idea if he is still available, but I
> suppose we could try.

I'm pretty sure he is still around.

> There seems to be an indication that the 'KCL Report' was indeed an
> academic report,

I think that's correct.

I had a paper copy, green cover, perhaps given to me by one of the
authors (Yuasa, I think) when he and (I think) Professor Ito came
through Edinburgh sometimes in the early-mid 80s.  I also got KCL
on a tape from them.  (All such things were destroyed in the fire
that burned down part of Edinburgh near the end of 2002.)

Last I knew (sometime last year) Taiichi Yuasa's e-mail
address was address@hidden

I don't know all of the KCL -> AKCL -> GCL history, but KCL
started off much more restricted than it later became.

For quite a while, AKCL had to be distributed as diffs
(as you probably know).

-- Jeff