gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Server sockets with GCL?

From: Chris Hall
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Server sockets with GCL?
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 20:19:40 -1000

Dennis Decker Jensen <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi!
>
> There is an interesting article on the twisted framework. It
> is written by David Mertz and comes in four parts starting at
>
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-twist1.html

Yes, thanks!  I saw those when I was researching Twisted - David Mertz
sometimes posts to c.l.python, and he mentioned them.

I've written most of a non-trivial app in Woven, and it does some very
nice things.  Unfortunately, 'under the hood' it is rather crufty, and
their MVC doesn't seem to work quite the way we needed, so we've moved
on.

One of the Twisted principal developers is now working independently on
Nevow (Woven spelled backwards), which is essentially a rewrite using
what was learned from Woven.

> SmallTalk module for fastcgi is also very interesting in terms
> of fast and simple web servers. There is a white paper.
>
> http://mod.smalltalk.org

I've never used Smalltalk, but I did find this interesting:

http://www.beta4.com/seaside2/

Scheme-style continuations for session logic/flow control - I'm not sure
what happens when someone presses the 'back' button in their browser,
though - I wonder if continuations can go backwards? ;-)

> Somewhere on the net, I haven't been able to find it,
> there is also an article from the ACE people on some very
> interesting measures on asyncronous versus syncronous IO and
> measures showing that per-thread handling might actually be
> the slowest approach although the most common approach...
>
> Indeed, a select() like solution looks very interesting.
>
> Ciao!
>
> Dennis Decker Jensen

Was the ACE article one of these, by any chance?

http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/patterns-ace.html

CMUCL and SBCL have an async interface called SERVE-EVENTS - I need to
see how suitable/general it is since I think there is at least one web
server (Araneida, IIRC) that uses it - but I prefer to use GCL.

Whether or not SERVE-EVENTS turns out to be suitable, my hope at present
is to start with something like Python's asyncore, add support for the
Reactor pattern (e.g., event handler functions, see the patterns-ace
URL) and use that to structure networking logic.

Nothing to it, right? ;-)

Aloha,
+Chris

--
My toughest fight was with my first wife.
-- Muhammad Ali (1942 - )