gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] ONCRPC binaries for MinGW32 - where to put it.

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: [Gcl-devel] ONCRPC binaries for MinGW32 - where to put it.
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:27:38 +1000

Hi again Bill.

CC MinGW32 list as this is a library (Sun's RPC) which may be of use to
other MinGW32 application developers.

| What is the status of the ONC rpc source code? Their website
| seemed quite open to re-use. Would it be possible/desirable
| to include these rpc sources with GCL?

The Sun copyright notice which applies to ONCRPC says "unrestricted use"
(with limits, see below.)

That said, the last thing the GNU Common Lisp developers need is
responsibility for the Windows port of RPC (ONCRPC) for two reasons:

1. Our people power is already stretched to the limit.

2. I think that the library should be independent from GCL (or any other
application).  The current source distribution site:

  http://www.plt.rwth-aachen.de/ks/english/oncrpc.html

is of course, nothing but a distribution site as noone maintains the code
and that is unlikely to change.

Until someone with the time and knowledge offers to do that, I think it
might be better just to distribute the MinGW32 binaries from one of the the
MinGW32 library sites eg http://mingwrep.sourceforge.net, or
http://jrfonseca.dyndns.org/projects/gnu-win32/software/ported/index.html.

My main concern is that the package might branch into incompatible streams
as happened with windows ports of libintl (?) and related libraries - a
problem discussed on the MinGW32 list within the past year.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.

=================== ONCRPC Copyright notice ===========================
 * Sun RPC is a product of Sun Microsystems, Inc. and is provided for
 * unrestricted use provided that this legend is included on all tape
 * media and as a part of the software program in whole or part.  Users
 * may copy or modify Sun RPC without charge, but are not authorized
 * to license or distribute it to anyone else except as part of a product or
 * program developed by the user.
 *
 * SUN RPC IS PROVIDED AS IS WITH NO WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND INCLUDING THE
 * WARRANTIES OF DESIGN, MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
 * PURPOSE, OR ARISING FROM A COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE OR TRADE PRACTICE.
 *
 * Sun RPC is provided with no support and without any obligation on the
 * part of Sun Microsystems, Inc. to assist in its use, correction,
 * modification or enhancement.
 *
 * SUN MICROSYSTEMS, INC. SHALL HAVE NO LIABILITY WITH RESPECT TO THE
 * INFRINGEMENT OF COPYRIGHTS, TRADE SECRETS OR ANY PATENTS BY SUN RPC
 * OR ANY PART THEREOF.
 *
 * In no event will Sun Microsystems, Inc. be liable for any lost revenue
 * or profits or other special, indirect and consequential damages, even if
 * Sun has been advised of the possibility of such damages.
 *
 * Sun Microsystems, Inc.
 * 2550 Garcia Avenue
 * Mountain View, California  94043