gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] use XDR with GCL on Windows

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] use XDR with GCL on Windows
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:22:18 -0400

Mike,

On Tuesday, June 24, 2003 8:19 PM you wrote:

> [Bill wrote]
> | My goal is to build Axiom to run under Windows using
> | MinGW and GCL. Tim Daly has provided several patches to
> | GCL 2.5.2 in order to support Axiom under linux. (See
> | cvs at tenkan.org) This works under linux.
>
> Can you be more specific about the address of that site
> or those patches please.

The site is tenkan.org, e.g.

  cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/home/cvs login

It is the temporary closed development site for open
source Axiom until Tim Daly feels ready to post the Axiom
source to the public savanaha site. To get access to the
tenkan.org site, just send an email to

   address@hidden

I am sure that he will be glad to hear of your interest. If
you want, I can send you the patch files for GCL 2.5.2 and
the axiom specific makefile.

> | I am able to compile GCL 2.5.2 under minGW without the pathes. But
> | Axiom apparently requires XDR (and a few other changes).
> Apply one of
> | the pathes, which inserts
> |
> |   #define HAVE_XDR
> |
> | into the mingw.h causes the compiler to attempt to
> | include the file rpc/rpc.h and related code. Unfortunately
> the rpc.h
> | that is part of MinGW does not include the XDR functionality.
> |
> | I got as far as downloading some rpc code that does include XDR and
> | *might* compile with MinGW
> |
> |   http://www.plt.rwth-aachen.de/ks/english/oncrpc.html
> |
> | (which you recommended some time back)
>
> Only yesterday I wondered why you never got back about the
> RPC functionality.  The geologist in me decided it was one of
> those miraculous moments when everything goes right.

Only in the movies!

> | but including the oncrpc headers in the GCL o/makefile
> leads to some
> | warnings of incompatible definitions (which can be
> | fixed) and finally to a gcc compiler message that I don't
> understand.
>

> I commented out the definitions in "rpc/bcopy.h" to stop this problem.
>

> |   gcc -c -Wall -fwritable-strings -DVOL=volatile -fsigned-char
> | -march=i386  -I/home/axiomgnu/new/lsp/gcl-2.5.2/o  -I../h
> -I../gcl-tk -I
> | /c/oncrpc funlink.c
> | C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp/ccwtaaaa.s: Assembler messages:
> | C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp/ccwtaaaa.s:9048: Error: length of
> | .comm "_D" is already 16; not changing to 528
> |
> | -------
> |
> | So, where should I go from here? Has anyone successfully built
> | GCL for windows with rpc and XDR?
>

> I just did this morning with the 2.5.3 source release code
> using the MinGW32 build of the ONCRPC library which I will
> shortly send to you separately, and gcc 3.2.1, which is the
> one supplied with the Windows GCL binary release.
> All went smoothly, I'm pleased to say.
>
> Make sure you copy the dll in the ONCRPC bin directory into
> your path somewhere, the RPC header directory into your include
> directory, and "librpclib.a" into your lib directory.
>
> In addition to adding that define you mentioned above, you
> should also add
> "-lrpclib" to the list of libraries for the link.

Ok, great. I will let you know how it goes. I can probably
move to 2.5.3 as well for axiom.

> | Should I start with some
> | other source code for rpc that would be more compatible with
> | MinGW? Is there a way to avoid the compiler error? Other ideas?
>

> My guess is not until you see whether the system works.  I
> don't know much about XDR, so I can't really help much in
> respect of the details.
>
> Would it help if I incorporate the XDR functionality into the
> current Windows binary download?  I suppose that those patches
> from Tim Daly will then not be available.

Yes, perhaps, but you are right that some of the other patches
might also be needed. As I recall, the difference between 2.5.2
and 2.5.3 was at least one of the patches that originated with
Tim and Dave Mentre David address@hidden The primary
one for Axiom is the one for the old in-package behaviour. I will
see if I can determine which others (if any) are also required.

What is the status of the ONC rpc source code? Their website
seemed quite open to re-use. Would it be possible/desirable
to include these rpc sources with GCL?

> Cheers
>
> Mike Thomas.

Thanks again.