gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] configure and make failed on FreeBSD

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] configure and make failed on FreeBSD
Date: 23 Oct 2002 16:46:10 -0400

Greetings, and thanks for your interest in gcl!

GOTO Kentaro <address@hidden> writes:

> Apologies for unsuitable subject in my last message.
>
> >         configure and make failed as follows with cvs HEAD.
> >         Any advises on how to fix the problem are greatly appreciated.
> >         Thanks,
> >
> >         Gotoken
> >
> > % ./configure --enable-machine=FreeBSD
> > [...]
> > creating makedefc
> > sed: file conftest.s1 line 44: Unterminated `s' command
> > creating h/gclincl.h

This represents a failure of configure to determine your emacs
site-lisp directory.  You should see an earlier failure prior to this
in the log.  Our configure script needs to be robustified, and to
this end, it would be nice to know what software you have/do not have
installed on your machine.  Right now, readline and bfd are the only
confirmed *optional* software packages which configure is known to
detect and handle correctly.  Other than this, configure pretty much
expects to find the following software installed, even if it is not
yet able to complain clearly enough when something is missing:

Build-Depends: debhelper, gcc-3.2 [hppa ia64 arm],  emacsen, libreadline4-dev,
m4, tk8.3-dev, tetex-bin, texinfo, binutils-dev, texi2html, autoconf, automake,
gettext, libgmp3-dev, autotools-dev

My first suggestion would be to install these packages on your system,
and see if you can get a working build.  Thereafter, it would help us
if you could remove some, and tell us what breaks.  We may be able to
have configure handle some removals transparently.

> > [...]
> >  unixport/makefile,
> >
> > % gmake
> > [...]
> > cc -c -O -I../gcl-tk -I../h/  big.c
> > In file included from big.c:64:
> > gmp_big.c: In function `div_int_big':
> > gmp_big.c:264: void value not ignored as it ought to be
> > *** Error code 1

This seems to indicate that your gmp subbuild did not complete
correctly.  I'd need to see the full configure and make output to be
definitive.

Take care,