gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] configure and make failed on FreeBSD

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] configure and make failed on FreeBSD
Date: 25 Oct 2002 11:27:29 -0400

Greetings!  OK, you have a few problems.  GCL has had quite a bit of
work since 1.1, the version indicated in the FreeBSD.h file.  In
general, I would suggest starting with 386-linux.(h,defs}, which will
probably work right off the bat, and then only if necessary taking
what youp might need from the older FreeBSD.{h,defs} files.

Second, is this a CVS snapshot, or 2.4.3?  You should not attempt an
older version.  I don't recognize the order of your configure output,
though it could be that of 2.4.3.  CVS looks quite different.

GOTO Kentaro <address@hidden> writes:

> % configure --enable-machine=FreeBSD
> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking system version (for dynamic loading)... FreeBSD-4.5-RELEASE
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... yes
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
> checking whether we are using GNU C... yes
> checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
> test: yes: bad number

This line is a problem.  Can your /bin/sh not run the following:

# can only test for numbers -- CM
# if test "${GCC}" -eq "yes" ; then
if [ "${GCC}" = "yes" ] ; then
# Allog for environment variable overrides on compiler selection -- CM
GCC=$CC
else
GCC=""
fi
# subst GCC not only under 386-linux, but where available -- CM

> checking finding DBEGIN... got 0x8000000
> checking finding CSTACK_ADDRESS... got -1077938384
> checking sizeof long long int... yes
> checking for getcwd... yes
> checking for getwd... yes
> checking for uname... yes
> checking for gettimeofday... yes
> checking for sys/ioctl.h... yes
> checking for BSDgettimeofday... no
> checking for gettimeofday... (cached) yes
> checking for gettimeofday declaration... present
> checking for sin in -lm... yes
> checking for sockets... checking for connect... yes
> checking for gethostbyname... yes
> checking For network code for nsocket.c... yes
> checking check for listen using fcntl... yes
> checking for profil... yes
> checking for setenv... yes
> checking for _cleanup... yes
> checking FIONBIO vs. O_NONBLOCK for nonblocking I/O... O_NONBLOCK
> checking host system type... i386-unknown-freebsd4.5
> host=i386-unknown-freebsd4.5
> checking check for SV_ONSTACK... yes
> checking check for SIGSYS... yes
> checking check for SIGEMT... yes
> checking emacs site lisp directory... Finished loading
> /usr/local/share/emacs/21.2/site-lisp/egg/leim-list.el
>    and load others...
> /usr/local/share/emacs/21.2/site-lisp
> checking emacs default.el... Finished loading
> /usr/local/share/emacs/21.2/site-lisp/egg/leim-list.el
>    and load others...
> /usr/local/share/emacs/21.2/site-lisp/default.el

Here, the extra output from your emacs is confusing the directory
discovery.  The command should be the following:

emacs -q -batch --no-site-file -l conftest.el 2>&1 | sed -e /Loading/d | sed -e
/load/d

Can you explain why this does not eliminate these two lines on your
machine?

Finished loading /usr/local/share/emacs/21.2/site-lisp/egg/leim-list.el
and load others...

> checking emacs info/dir... /usr/local/info/
> checking for tcl/tk... checking for tclsh... tclsh
> checking for tclsh8.0... (cached) tclsh
> In FreeBSD, tclsh is named with a version number.  This is because
> different versions of tclsh are not compatible with each other and
> they can not all be called "tclsh"!  You may need multiple versions
> installed because a given port may depend on a specific version.

Here, configure cannot determine your tcl and tk config directories.
The script it tries to run is:
g.tcl
[
set dir [set tcl_library]
if { [file exists [file join [set dir] tclConfig.sh]] } {
      puts  [set dir]
      exit
  }
set dir [file dirname [set tcl_library]]
if { [file exists [file join [set dir] tclConfig.sh]] } {
      puts  [set dir]
  }
]

tclsh < g.tcl

If you can figure out what should be used instead ....

> On your system, tclsh is installed under at least the following names:
>
> tclsh8.0jp
> tclsh8.2
> tclsh8.3
> tclsh8.0jp
> tclsh8.2
> tclsh8.3
> tclsh8.0jp
> tclsh8.2
> tclsh8.3
> checking for wish... wish
> checking for wish8.0... (cached) wish
> In FreeBSD, wish is named with a version number.  This is because
> different versions of wish are not compatible with each other and
> they can not all be called "wish"!  You may need multiple versions
> installed because a given port may depend on a specific version.
>
> On your system, wish is installed under at least the following names:
>
> wish8.0jp
> wish8.2
> wish8.3
> wish8.0jp
> wish8.2
> wish8.3
> wish8.0jp
> wish8.2
> wish8.3
> checking for main in -llieee... no
> checking for dlopen in -ldl... no
> not found
> enable_machine=FreeBSD
> use=FreeBSD
> checking alloca... yes
> checking use_gmp=yes, doing configure in gmp directory... ./configure:
> ./configure: not found

This is the most critical problem.  Your gmp configure cannot be run.
Can you discover why?

> checking Checking for buggy gcc version from redhat... no
> updating cache ./config.cache
> creating ./config.status
> creating makedefc
> sed: file conftest.s1 line 44: Unterminated `s' command

This is due to the emacs issue above.

> creating h/gclincl.h
> makedefc

You should see a listing of your makedefs here.  You don't because of
the sed failure above.

> add-defs1 FreeBSD
> cc -DUNIX -o file-sub file-sub.c
> using FreeBSD.defs
> inserting h/FreeBSD.defs in ..

This indicates to me that you are using something prior to 2.4.3.
Right?  All we can now support is either the most recent stable,
(2.4.3) or a current CVS snapshot.  Please check out

http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gcl

Take care,