Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Wikipedia Day Slides

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Wikipedia Day Slides
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 18:52:10 +0000

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 11:29:16PM +0000, Mark Reynolds wrote:
> As promised I've uploaded the slides from the talk, they can be viewed here:
> http://www.slideshare.net/WikipediaDay/wikipedia-day-2011-talk
> They can also be downloaded in ODP format if you have a SlideShare
> login. if anyone has any suggestions for a better service, please let
> me know and I'll post them there, too.

I’m pretty sure it used to be possible to make the ODP format available
to people without a login.

I created a tool, slideshare-dl, which is able to download slides from
Slideshare as SWF, PDF, or ODP if those formats are available.  (Note:
the one on my site is out‐of‐date and doesn’t support downloading
anything other than the SWF, so I won’t bother pointing to it until I
have updted it.)  It has never had the ability to login to the site,
just the PDFs and ODPs were usually available from predictable
locations.  Alas, it doesn’t work for the above slides:

$ python slideshare-dl.py --list-formats
http://www.slideshare.net/WikipediaDay/wikipedia-day-2011-talk
Formats available for “talk-110116170124-phpapp02”: swf

Attempting to download the ODP anyway comes back with a “permission
denied” response, so it’s entirely possible the URIs have changed or
access has been restricted.  The joys software that has to play
catch‐up.

simple system that works.—John Gall