Re: [Fsuk-manchester] google plan new OS?

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] google plan new OS?
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 21:01:00 +0100

Chris Rogers wrote:
It's the best hope yet to break the MS stranglehold on the PC. IBM didn't manage it with OS/2, probably because of the PS/2 architecture and their licensing approach. Apple didn't manage it, possibly because their OS is so tightly linked to their own hardware but also because it's expensive gear. Linux is gaining ground but very slowly, partly, I feel, because it's so fragmented, with dozens of different distros.

On a technical level, the big questions are:

* will it use x11 (if not, for us, it's probably pointless)
* will it base itself on a well known packaging system
* will it radically change GNU/Linux permissions stuff (a la linspire which ran the UI as root)

Personally, I suspect it could be pretty much gOS - which is a Google orientated Commercial Ubuntu deriv.

I'm worried about proliferation on non-standard ways of doing things, whether they are free software or not. Android is a classic example of a lockin implemented in free software.

I'm unsure about it, but I suspect most other people are pretty tentative regarding it...