Re: [Fsuk-manchester] google plan new OS?

From: Dave Page
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] google plan new OS?
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 18:22:18 +0100

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 01:28:45PM +0100, aidy lewis wrote:

> What are your opinions on the announcement that Google is to create a
> netbook\desktop open-source OS to compete with MS?

I'm not that bothered, to be honest. I suspect that out of the box it
will be very dependent on Google web services such as Gmail. If the OS
is free software, then it'll be hackable to change that - but in that
case why not go with GNU/Linux in the first place?

One of the things I like most about free software is the freedom from
large corporations, and the ability to do things for myself. From that
perspective, the Chrome OS doesn't offer me any advantages over
GNU/Linux.

People say that a brand like Google will prove to people that there are
alternatives to Microsoft, but I don't see it; the Chrome browser hasn't
exactly done well compared to Firefox, let alone to IE.

The original netbook explosion saw a lot of people discovering GNU/Linux
for the first time, but nowadays it's hard to buy one on the high street
without Windows XP; I don't see even Google making much headway there.

Dave
--
Dave Page <address@hidden>
Jabber: address@hidden