Re: [Fsuk-manchester] the non-free neighbour asking for help dilemma

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] the non-free neighbour asking for help dilemma
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 11:11:11 +0100

2008/5/5 Chris H. <address@hidden>:
> 5., may. 2008, 23.06 - Iain Roberts:
>>
>> The freedoms of Free Software are freedoms for *him* as the user.  That's
>> great and I'm all for them.  But what about his freedom to run the software
>> he wants and works for him?
>>
>> Why do you feel that it's morally good for him to be free to redistribute,
>> improve, study and run a program for any purpose, but morally bad for him to
>> be able to choose to run proprietary software if it's the best tool for the
>> job?

You are conflating freedom with convenience.

It is morally bad for him to choose to run proprietary software, even
if it's very convenient, because they are giving up their freedom and
that effects him (because he no longer the aspect of his life he uses
the software for) and everyone else (because he promises not to share,
and makes it less convenient for others to reject that software.)

The best tool for the job is a free one.

--
Regards,
Dave

I support www.gnuherds.org -