Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ministry of Education from Brazil is buying 90, 00

From: Noah Slater
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ministry of Education from Brazil is buying 90, 000 Debian GNU Linux computers
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 15:43:58 +0000

On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 03:19:11PM +0000, Tim Dobson wrote:
> I disagree, I think recent steps from the like of Research Machines
> (RM) indicate that if customers/governement wanted gnu/linux, they
> would jump to provide it.

Maybe. I was reading the Hansard the other week, as you do, and the
governments position on the matter is that they will tender contracts
to any professional consultancy who can handle the size of projects
they require. The problem seems to be, as reported by the government,
that there is a lack of big consultancy firms offering FOSS solutions.

I am guessing this is because of of the cost benifits of using
technologies such as MS, Oracle, J2EE and all the other
corporate/enterprise stuff. From a business perspective it makes a lot
of sense to provide expensive enterprise solutions when that means
that the consultancy fees are higher.

Meh, I don't really know what I'm talking about...

--
Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>

"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far as
society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman