Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ministry of Education from Brazil is buying 90, 00

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ministry of Education from Brazil is buying 90, 000 Debian GNU Linux computers
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 15:19:11 +0000

On 17/12/2007, Stephen Mount <address@hidden> wrote:
> Anyways, its most likely if we were to have such a software, it would
> based on a Microsoft based OS, just like they are making a Windows XP
> for the new Asus eee's. Microsoft want their virus, sorry, i mean
> their OS on as many things possible, so they can make more money.

I disagree, I think recent steps from the like of Research Machines
(RM) indicate that if customers/governement wanted gnu/linux, they
would jump to provide it.
My personal opinion is that RM, would not be able to provide ti due to
the fact that their technicians are airheads, but some organisation
(s) would fill thir gap e.g. m6-it

We all know MS love to push their operating system, in fact anyone who
denies that is a bit misdirected imho, and microsfot will keep trying
to push their operating system, up until right at the last moment.
(at the moment it is moving from trying to annihialate free OS's to
work with/buying free OS's
[extend, embrace, extinguish]

I actualy reckon it would be possible to get a gnu OS on pretty much
every computer in the UK. I'm not giving it a timescale etc. but it is
possible, and i hope it is going to happen,

you might want to watch the codebreakers: a bbc documentary about
gnu/linux in the developing world and its relevance to the digital
divide.

article:
http://www.apdip.net/news/fossdoc

video in different formats & sizes: