Re: [Fsfe-uk] Wikipedia to merge Free Software and Open Source

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Wikipedia to merge Free Software and Open Source
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 22:45:47 +0100

On 07/04/2008, Philip Hunt <address@hidden> wrote:

>  As I've mentioned, I write software and license it under the GPL. Can
>  someone tell me whether that makes me part of the "Free Software
>  Movement", the "Open Source Software Movement", both, or neither?

IMO:

It makes you a part of the software freedom movement, because the GPL
denies proprietary software developers the ability to use your
software, and abolishing proprietary software by making it obsolete is
the long range goal of this movement. Choosing the GPL helps move
towards that and is inline with that movement.

You could choose a free software license that is less or non copyleft,
which would benefit both free software and open source developers.
This is inline with the open source movement, which has a long range
goal of improving the quality of software.

Of course, there are plenty of open source developers who think that
the GPL is the best way to get high quality software, but don't mind
having plenty of crappy proprietary software installed. And there are
ardent free software developers who do not use the GPL.

But IMO, a developer's choice of license does communicate something
about their position in the two movements.

--
Regards,
Dave