Re: [Fsfe-uk] Wikipedia to merge Free Software and Open Source

From: Philip Hunt
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Wikipedia to merge Free Software and Open Source
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 22:34:54 +0100

On 06/04/2008, Tim Dobson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Philip Hunt wrote:
>
> > On 06/04/2008, Noah Slater <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > >  The Wikitrolls and OSI appologists on Wikipedia are planning to merge
> > > the
> > >  articles on Free Software and Open Source to avoid "nitpicking and
> > >  agenda-advancing" despite the obvious absurdity of this.
> > >

> > It isn't obvious to me that this is absurd.
>
>  Open Source and Free Software are separate things.

I write software and license it under the GPL. Is this "Open Source"
or "Free Software"? The answer, of course, is that it is both.

> I think he believes here is that Open Source Software and Free Software
> have sufficiently different goals and ideals to merit different Wikipedia
> articles as opposed to a combined article.

Software doesn't have "goals" (unless it is some advanced AI project).
People who write software do of course have goals.

As I've mentioned, I write software and license it under the GPL. Can
someone tell me whether that makes me part of the "Free Software
Movement", the "Open Source Software Movement", both, or neither?

--
Philip Hunt, <address@hidden>