Re: [Fsfe-uk] Wikipedia to merge Free Software and Open Source

From: Noah Slater
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Wikipedia to merge Free Software and Open Source
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 21:12:18 +0100

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 07:05:43PM +0100, Tim Dobson wrote:
> What he is stating, perhaps a bit cryptically, is that people who
> perhaps spend a little too much time on Wikipedia are trying to merge
> the articles on "Open Source Software" and "Free Software".

Yes. Sorry for the assumed context.

I think Free Software is great for ethical reasons.

I think Open Source is great for pragmatic reasons.

I think that conflating these two ideas is damaging to both movements and would
dilute the potent message each has to offer. I think, and I have reasonable
cause, that certain active members of the Wikipedia community would like to see
a situation where certain aspects of OUR community are diluted.

If you think this is wrong, then you should take action. All it needs is a
sentence on that talk page outlining why you think that the two socio-political
movements should remain separated in concept.

Thanks Dobo. ;)

--
Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>