Re: [Fsfe-uk] APIG Inquiry into DRM tech.

From: Simon Waters
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] APIG Inquiry into DRM tech.
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 01:18:18 +0000

MJ Ray wrote:

> I'll try to make it clear that it's not a solution. It's impossible
> to solve the problems posed by DRM. All "fair circumvention" gives
> is a small hope that we don't lose access to all our culture.
>
> I realise that fair dealing is limited. It's also not directly
> part of the questions,

One could of course argue that fair dealing is precisely one element
that is missing, and makes EU copyright law different from US.

If WIPOs job is harmonising the law, surely Europe should enact fair
dealing rules.

Indeed I would have thought European wide legislation on DRM would be
impossible without establishing what precisely should be allowed.