[Fsfe-uk] Gowers Review of Intellectual Property (was: APIG Inquiry into

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Gowers Review of Intellectual Property (was: APIG Inquiry into DRM tech.)
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 12:50:20 +0000

On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 11:54 +0000, Alex Hudson wrote:
> Guysengals.
>
> We've kind of missed the launch of this boat, but it hasn't yet
> departed:
>
> http://www.apig.org.uk/current-activities/inquiry-into-digital-rights-management.html

I suppose, had I been on the ball, I would have also noticed:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/05/uk_intellectual_property_rights_review/

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/newsroom_and_speeches/press/2005/Press_102_05.cfm

Looks like the stuff BPI were batting for wrt. length of copyright on
audio, but will also surely affect Free Software if we let it. We need
to watch:

        http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/gowers

... as that is where the fun will begin, apparently.

This is a real chance for some change in the favour of users, I think.

I'm tarting this e-mail across a couple of lists, please just reply to
list if you respond - thanks.