Re: [Fsfe-uk] Intro and a request for information

From: Simon
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Intro and a request for information
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 17:09:02 +0000

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 10:19 +0000, Chris Lale wrote:
> Hello Simon.
>
> Have you thought what you might so with Linux once you have got it
> running? Here are some thoughts.

[snip helpful thoughts...]

> HTH
>
> Chris7.

Chris and everyone else,

Thanks very much for all the pointers, advice etc. I've emailed someone
my snail mail address for some CDs and registered at Ubuntu to get some
postage free CDs from them.

I did originally think of getting some removable hard drive caddies and
using different drives for Linux. Then dual boot without writing to the
mbr (floppy disc booting). I've also used the Debian "network install"
and thought of that one as well. But the suggestions for "live CDs" have
been interesting - I've never used one before. I've now got a load of
options...

I've spoken to both the ICT co-ordinator and the technician at the
school and any solution I come up with would seem to be acceptable to
them. The technician appears to think that RM should not be a problem,
but until I try it I'm sceptical!

Chris - I hadn't thought about what to do once Linux is up and running,
Thanks for the suggestions - once I can get this up and running I'm sure
I'll need things to do

Thanks, again, to every one who responded, you've all been of immense
help. I'll keep the list posted as things progress.

All the best,

Simon