Re: certification [was: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Intro and a request for informatio

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: Re: certification [was: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Intro and a request for information]
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:18:53 +0000

On Sun, 2004-11-14 at 13:04 +0000, Ian Lynch wrote:

> One of the reasons for inventing the INGOTs is that its a model that is
> independent of particular proprietary tools and can be guaranteed to
> work with FLOSS. Its also far less expensive to administer and is
> accessible to primary school age children as well as adult beginners. It
> is designed to be as compatible as possible with existing courses so we
> are causing teachers the problem of fitting in yet another course when
> waht we need to do is promote and recognise good practice in what they
> are already doing.

But did you invent INGOTs because you had decided it would not be
possible to push the ECDL administrators into accepting free-software
(or software-neutral) based versions of the ECDL; or because you thought
the ECDL was bad in principle (ie. it would be bad even if it was free
software based); or because you wanted something independent, regardless
of general recognition? Sorry, I don't know any of the history behind
this, and the INGOTs site says nothing about how it relates to the ECDL.

Cheers
Graham