Re: [Fsfe-uk] Intro and a request for information

From: Nick Hill
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Intro and a request for information
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 20:01:43 +0000

Hello Simon

I have deployed two commercial cybercafes based on thin client networks. I have installed K12LTSP, which has the thin client system pre-configured, and comes with a range of educational / fun software.

Thin client machines have 3 main advantages:
1) Centralised installation, backup and maintenence.
2) All thin clients are equivalent. Log into your account from any terminal.
3) You can use really old hardware for the clients; they will still (appear to) run the latest software fairly quickly. This substantially reduces total cost.

The workstations don't need a hard drive. 64Mb ram is adequate. P133 is adequate. Good graphics card recommended. Bootable network card required.

Simon wrote:
Greetings all,

I've been subscribed to this list for about a year - lurking! To cut a
long story short, I've just started my first teaching post and been busy
the last year doing my teacher training.

I was told about this list by a member of SLUG (what happened to SLUG?)
and subscribed as I believe "education" is part of the lists interests.
I haven't been able to keep up to date with all the postings, but have
read, with interest, when I have been able.