[Fsfe-uk] Firefox in today's Grauniad

From: Paul Mobbs
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Firefox in today's Grauniad
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 12:53:22 +0000

http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3605,1347674,00.html

Dambusters

Will this week's launch of a free rival to Internet Explorer pierce
Microsoft's defences? Glyn Moody reports

The Guardian, Thursday November 11, 2004

Will this week go down in history as the start of open source's conquest of
the Windows desktop? On Tuesday, version 1.0 of the free Firefox browser was
launched - a program many see as the breakthrough in the battle to win over
Windows users to open source software - community-created programs that are
openly available for development. Firefox is also available for Apple's Mac
OS X and the GNU/Linux platform.

Despite the 1.0 tag, Firefox is not new: it has a long and complicated history
going back to the first mass-market browser, Netscape Navigator, via the
earlier open source Mozilla. Firefox is Mozilla reborn (it was originally
called Phoenix), and is aimed squarely at the non-technical user. It is
sleek, weighing in at less than five megabytes; it is easy to install,
pulling in your Internet Explorer home page and favourites automatically; it
is packed with powerful features - a popup blocker, and tabbed browsing that
lets you open several web pages within the same window; and, perhaps most
importantly, it is secure - immune to the worst of the bugs, viruses and
spyware that afflict users of Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

<SNIP>

--

==============

"We are not for names, nor men, nor titles of Government, nor are we for
this party nor against the other but we are for justice and mercy and
truth and peace and true freedom, that these may be exalted in our
nation, and that goodness, righteousness, meekness, temperance, peace
and unity with God, and with one another, that these things may abound."
(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul Mobbs, Mobbs' Environmental Investigations,
tel./fax (+44/0)1295 261864

email - address@hidden
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mobbsey/index.html