Re: [Fsfe-uk] Flash problems are bad programmers - Macromedia

From: Lee Braiden
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Flash problems are bad programmers - Macromedia
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:07:54 +0000

Alex Hudson wrote:

PS. they may be right about programmers - most Flash isn't generated by
programmers. I guess they're actually thinking more about the Generator
market (i.e., Flash as a sophisticated UI for data applications). Dunno;
didn't think they were really making huge headway with that...
It's this "UI" part about Flash that gets me. HTML is supposed to incorporate multimedia, not be replaced by it. Vector animation is for things like advertisements and diagrams. Much as I hate to say that advertisements are a valid use of HTML, it's true. There's no problem with it at all, when it's just an object on a page, which can be backwards compatible with the addition of a simple description tag.

But once a whole interface is done in flash, and it becomes a scripted application, no longer a page-based HTML model, then it's no longer a website at all. All you have is something entirely different running over the HTTP protocol, which is a massive step backward in most ways.

I remember pointing this out back in 2001, in a web design company I worked for as a developer. One of the designers there told me that Macromedia themselves where actually telling Flash people precisely that: that they were abusing Flash, and should only use it in limited ways. I'm not sure how official that line was. I suspect it was most insincere, official or not. But I think if it _was_ said in or before 2001, then that might be a helpful thing to bear in mind when trying to stop Flash use going too far. Even if Macromedia didn't say it, I'm sure most HTML experts would happily back us up on it. Tim Berners-Lee springs to mind ;)