Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: ECF/ESF

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: ECF/ESF
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:55:37 +0100

Hi Stuart,

One more typo, in the last para:
'avaliability of the source code'

Stuart A Yeates wrote:

- translation: could the very specific mentions of 'students' be replaced with some more general term (eg. end users)

We're funded to provide open source advice to higher and further education.

OK, that's fine.
However, I like your document and would like to put a slightly expanded version which has been edited to remove specific mentions of 'students' on my own site. This is a wiki with a default license of 'public domain'. What would the best way to
deal with this be?

1. I could edit your document and put a specific notice on it: 'unlike the rest of this site, this page is copyright the University of Oxford and under the GFDL'. I don't understand the GFDL well enough to understand whether this would be ok (eg. would my wiki pages count as 'end pages' ), and I don't really want to end up with a load of different licenses on one site..

2. You could look at my version before I release it, and if happy that Oxford University did not need any claims over it, explicitly relinquish copyright claims over my particular version. However, I suspect you would not have the authority to
do that legally?

3. I could edit your version then place my version in the public domain trusting the university would not sue me. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't, but I don't like doing this (and I would feel I had a moral obligation to put a link to the original anyway,
which would make it very easy for them to sue if they ever wanted to)

4. I can write a completely new version from scratch, which is going to be extremely hard to do now I've read yours.

ideas?

cheers
Graham