Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: ECF/ESF

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: ECF/ESF
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:22:47 +0100

On 2004-10-05 10:58:21 +0100 address@hidden wrote:

And in the context that MJR was discussing (a discussion about democracy
and other ethical and political questions), the term "Free Software"
is *far* more appropriate.

Also, it's the term used by the referenced web sites, along with its friend "free media". I'm pretty surprised that a Solidarity Village supporter changed it to the bigCorp-friendly marketing term, that's all.

Free software did have a marketing programme once... called open source. Unfortunately, the trademark attempt is dead and it seems that term is at least as ambiguous - it even has undesirable connotations from espionage, apparently! When that horse should have been given a decent burial and its riders invited to transfer, some people kept flogging it, for diverse reasons.

Someone tried to steal our revolution. Now we're stealing it back.

 Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
LinuxExpo.org.uk village 6+7 Oct http://www.affs.org.uk