Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: ECF/ESF

From: Sam Liddicott
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: ECF/ESF
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 13:58:46 +0100

Ian Lynch wrote:
On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 13:40, Chris Croughton wrote:

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 11:27:52AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:

It irritates me when supposedly freedom-minded people use the failed
US trademark term "Open Source" instead of "free software", "free
media" or similar terms. Are they scared to speak about freedom?

To most of the people I talk to about computers, excepting the
already-converted GNU/Linux/etc. geeks, "free software" and "free media"
mean free as in "free beer" and nothing else.

I use FLOSS. Shorthand for Free Libre Open Source Software. Some people
abbrieviate to Open Source, I can live withthat but I tend to use FLOSS
when explaining to newbies. Also made a good Acronym for the FLOSSIE
conference and spawned FLOSSIE the Sheep - an unusual sheep because
FLOSSIE broke from the herd to express her individuality :-)

I like that.
I've been scatching my head on the way to work this morning on this one.  Free is as precise as "love" is in english (same word masks the various meanings from altruistic to erotic).
FLOSS is possibily a word that would do. Libre was the best word I could come up with but it's hardly common usage.

Its a shame, but free just doesn't communicate properly.

Sam