Re: [Fsfe-uk] Sun through the Looking Glass

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Sun through the Looking Glass
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:36:36 +0100

On 2004-06-30 14:58:22 +0100 Martin Coxall <address@hidden> wrote:

I'm not claiming that it is illegal for Sun to distribute, but is it illegal for a user to use? I am linking GPLd software against proprietary libraries if I do that, am I not?

I'm pretty sure that you can't infringe copyright under English law just by using it. See the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 section 50C(1) for the exact wording of the legislation:

50C.-(1) It is not an infringement of copyright for a lawful user of a copy of a computer program to copy or adapt it, provided that the copying or adapting-

(a) is necessary for his lawful use; and

(b) is not prohibited under any term or condition of an agreement regulating the circumstances in which his use is lawful.

(2) It may, in particular, be necessary for the lawful use of a computer program to copy it or adapt it for the purpose of correcting errors in it.

(3) This section does not apply to any copying or adapting permitted under section 50A, 50B or 50BA.
[END QUOTE]

The GPL doesn't regulate use, IIRC.

I think the above was added following some EU directive.

"To be English is not to be baneful / To be standing by
the flag not feeling shameful / Racist or partial..."
                                            (Morrissey)