Re: [Fsfe-uk] Sun through the Looking Glass

From: Martin Coxall
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Sun through the Looking Glass
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:58:22 +0100

The software in question can not be used on a free software system at present because it depends on Sun's proprietary software, but it might be free software itself. Also, even if no-one else could distribute it legally under the licence, Sun could be the copyright holder and therefore not be acting illegally. Please be careful what you call illegal. Some people get very upset about it.

I'm not claiming that it is illegal for Sun to distribute, but is it illegal for a user to use? I am linking GPLd software against proprietary libraries if I do that, am I not?

Martin