[Fsfe-uk] APIG Computer Misuse Act Inquiry

From: MJ Ray
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] APIG Computer Misuse Act Inquiry
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:27:17 +0100

Quoting from "Revision of the Computer Misuse Act: Report of an Inquiry by the All Party Internet Group", PDF available from <URL:http://www.apig.org.uk/computer_misuse_act_inquiry.htm>:-

"18. Microsoft specifically requested that the definitions within the CMA be extended to
    include Digital Rights Management systems (DRMs) [...]
    We also observe that there has recently been
a lively debate on `Technical Protection Measures' in the context of the Intellectual
    Property Rights Enforcement Directive.

"19. We do not consider it appropriate to attempt to shoehorn the, rather different, issue of legal protection of DRM systems into the confines of the CMA. However, we recommend that the Government move promptly to set out proposals for a legal framework for Digital Rights Management Systems (DRMs) in a consultation
    document upon this important topic."

So, watch this space for more DRMmage. If you spot it first, please let us all know.

Please pass this info on to others who might like it.

"To be English is not to be baneful / To be standing by
the flag not feeling shameful / Racist or partial..."
                                            (Morrissey)