[Fsfe-uk] Infopoint report

From: Richard Smedley
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Infopoint report
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 16:18:57 +0100

A few of us spent yesterday at Bowlers in Manchester (the largest
computer fair in Europe, apparently). Northern Computer Markets
have donated a stall per month at each of their events to a
``Linux Infopoint'', under an arrangement with Jono Bacon of
Wolverhampton LUG.

It went quite well, with several AFFS leaflets given out, and people
very interested in software freedom. All but a couple of people who
passed by had at least a vague idea of what GNU/Linux was,
though finding 5 people spending a day giving things away for
nothing was a bit of a puzzle for some =o)   - perhaps not so
surprising at an event where people were able to /buy/ *screensavers* 8^/

Anyway, next time we'll take more literature and get a couple of colourful
posters. One eye-catching app we found v good to have on display was bb:

apt-cache show bb
[snip]
This package contains a 'high quality audio-visual demonstration'
of ASCCI-art using AAlib, a portable ASCII-art graphics library.
This demonstration can be displayed in a text- or X11-terminal.

Which really has to be seen to be believed =o))

Anyone within striking distance of an NCM event, get on the
infopoint mailing list at
http://mailman.lug.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/infopoint

- Richard