Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: [Debian-uk] Free software and UK law

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: [Debian-uk] Free software and UK law
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 13:00:13 +0100

On 2004-05-22 15:15:54 +0100 Ralph Janke <address@hidden> wrote:

It is not only defined as described here by the Berner convention and therefore through the international law in form of the treaty of the Berner converntion valid in all participating countries, but also written in a directive (if I remember correctly)
in EU law. [...]

Both the Berne convention and EU copyright directives allow quite a lot of scope for national differences, especially on things like "fair use". Some variations are also probably required to accommodate copyright and author-right in the same framework. I can believe that England/Scotland differences may be minor, but there could be significant variation England/Germany.

However, I only really wonder about non-UK for the case of the "EU Datagrid" licence anyway. It's probably not very interesting to ask "are any free software licences enforceable under UK laws" because it seems sure some (most?) will be but we won't know for sure until there are real cases. It's not the same question as "are there free software licences written specifically with UK laws in mind". I am interested in this last question and happy to hear about them, although I'm working on the euroVote more right now.

--
MJR/slef
My Opinion Only and possibly not of any group I know.