Re: [Fsfe-uk] "Software patent fight moves to Parliament"

From: Ralph Janke
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] "Software patent fight moves to Parliament"
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 00:57:40 +0100

Tom Chance wrote:

On Friday 21 May 2004 17:55, P.L.Hayes wrote:
On Friday 21 May 2004 14:30, James Heald wrote:
Good advice from Richard Allan MP.
Is it though?

I'd simply say: "it's worth a try" :-)

I should think there's a chance that we could convince enough Labour and Lib Dem MPs for them to then win over some of their fellow MEPs who have sounded sympathetic but who have then voted for software patents.

I think you can win over Labour and Lib Dem MEP's the moment when they notice they might not get elected if they don't take this issue serious. As long as there is not real pressure from other candidates from other parties that might be able to win against them, you probably will not win against the money of the donors on the other side.

In democracy two principles are usually important in election:

The primary motivation:

How much donation will a candidate/party get from which group in order to finance their campaign. That is why you will find big corporations allows donate to all major parties in a more or less equal way.

The primary fear:
Not being elected because of the stand/opinion in a certain issue. This is not a positive, but negative motivator. That is why most candidates are waffling over the issue and want to have it somewhat both ways, or give enough that they hope people on both side on the issue don;t find their stand offensive, meaning turn them away.

Unfortunately Intellectual property as an issue has not risen yet to a point like ecology has in the the 80s. The topic itself started combined with some civil rights and democracy demands the founding of the Green party in Germany. Today they are in the governing coalition (actually for the second term). Since the Green Party in Germany has shown that a Party on issues not on political tradition can win seats in parliaments, the other parties have started to take this issue of ecology serious.

I hope we will be able to mount a similar grassroots movement on the issue, because doesn't matter how this particular directive will be decided. The fight about this issue will go on far some longer time. I think we need to revise a plan that is tatical (this election, this directive) as well as strategic (Not only against patents, but agrresively positive - what kind of society do we want to see regarding intellectual property). The strategy hopefully will give us the framework for our tactical plans in the future driving staedily in the same direction.

We haev to see it like a momentum wheel in a steam engine. Steady impuls on the momentum wheel will bring the movement and will be very difficult to stop or reverse if we all put the positive impulse on it. As longer the movement is going as more power it will gain.

I shall approach two local Labour MPs who I'm friendly with to guage their reaction. I should imagine it will border on confusion ;-)

I did this with a local council Labour guy. He refered me to Michael Cashman MEP for West Midlands. I have send that guy an e-mail, but haven't heard
anything back. Did anybody else hear from this guy ?

Regards,
Tom

My 2 cents....

Ralph