[Fsfe-uk] Re: [Free-sklyarov-uk] Linux User & Developer Expo

From: Peter Clay
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Re: [Free-sklyarov-uk] Linux User & Developer Expo
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:46:36 -0000

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Tom Chance wrote:

> Having roamed around between the three different campaigning organisations in
> the expo, I've a few thoughts. In general, I thought the .ORG village was
> pretty awful; there wasn't enough space, it didn't look inviting at all, and,
> whereas with the Debian booth it was clear when a passer-by was interested in
> your wares, for us it was impossible.

Yeah; especially being in the basement. I though of it sas a .org ghetto
almost immediately.

> Since the UKCDR, AFFS and FFII are all interested in similar things (the
> UKCDR and FFII in particular), would it not make sense to club together
> for one "campaigns" stall, similar to the Debian booth, where we could
> have more space, and be further than 10cm away from competing stalls.
> Would we be able to get something like Debian had last week, at future
> expos?

Almost certainly it would be a good idea. As you say, FFII and UKCDR
clearly make sense as one big campaigning organisation. I don't know how
debian got a bigger stall, but undoubtedly it involved planning for the
event more than three weeks in advance. As it was, we used last year's
leaflets and hoped that nobody noticed.

UKCDR is currently trying to accede to EDRi (as soon as we work out how to
do it), which seems to have better international and inter-organisation
coordination. Possibly due to having a permanent member of staff.

Pete
--
Peter Clay                                         | Campaign for   _  _| .__
                                                   | Digital       /  / | |